Optimal dental health isn’t just important for healthy teeth and gums. There is a direct relationship between your oral and systemic health. General Dentistry is uniquely oriented toward the prevention of all different types of disease that are harmful to both. We help people avoid the progression of oral diseases. If left untreated, these eventually result in pain, lost time at work or school, and a higher financial investment.
General dentists are the main providers of dental care to people of all ages. At a routine visit to Smile Makers Dental Center, you will experience a thorough examination of your oral health, a professional cleaning, and an educative conversation about your dental and overall health, and together with the dentist, develop a treatment plan to optimize your health to the standard of care.
General dentists provide a wide array of services that are vital to your continued health, including:
- Preventive services— Preventive services help you preserve the health of your smile by preventing disease before it develops or advances in your mouth. Periodic exams (every 3 – 6 months), including diagnostic images such as x-rays, and professional teeth cleanings are a foundation of prevention. Your general dentist will offer you detailed instructions to improve your at-home oral hygiene, and may also recommend more frequent preventive treatments. Our general dentists can also offer nutritional counseling, advice on tobacco cessation and general health and wellness information.
- Restorative Services— The restorative screening process will look for a variety of conditions such as tooth decay, ill-fitting restorations, and existing amalgam restorations. Possibly the most common dental restoration involves removing tooth decay and placing a composite filling in the affected tooth. Other restorative procedures include porcelain onlays, crowns, and dental bridges.
- Cosmetic Procedures— Dr. Kallas and his team of Dental Associates can help you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted with a range of cosmetic procedures. These include teeth whitening, cosmetic bonding, and porcelain veneers. If a brighter smile is what you’re looking for, ask your general dentist about a smile makeover.
- Overall Health Concerns— Your oral health is a direct reflection of your total body health. Some dental problems may mirror issues in other parts of your body, and vice versa. Untreated oral infections can lead to poorer control of diabetes, an increased incidence of cardiovascular disease, and complications during pregnancy. Our general dentists are trained to identify these and other issues, and offer suitable treatment or referral when needed.
- Referral to Specialists – With expert dental specialists, ranging from Endodontics, Orthodontics, Oral Surgery, Periodontics, and Pediatric Dentistry, our team of general dentists will ensure they work with our specialists to attain optimal treatment planning and results. One special concern is obstructive sleep apnea, a potentially deadly condition that can sometimes be treated with an oral appliance.
- Emergency Services – The team at Smile Makers Dental Center offers you a place to go when you need prompt treatment for dental trauma—for example, a broken, loosened or knocked-out tooth as well as replacing old restorations. Injuries are often unexpected and associated pain makes it critical to be seen in a timely manner. By offering early and late appointment times and same day appointments, you’ll never have to wait long to address urgent dental issues.